06/06/2016

Nudl Illustration

This is a post about some of my thoughts on why i picked the name "Nudl Illustration" for my proprietorship and how i turned it into a logo.


The Name
The name "Nudl Illustration" consists of two things, my internet alias and my field of work. Basicly Nudl is my brand name and Illustraiton provides context. While other illustrators tend to use their last name, i figured mine is a little long, so i chose "Nudl". Which sounds more catchy and memorable. Since i've used this nick multiple places it should technically increase the search engine optimization (SEO) for my website.

Logo Design
For the design i assessed the most neccessary elements. The words "Nudl" and "Illustration" were obviously the first, but a logo should also show some depth. So i tried to implement one of the tools that i use, a pencil or pen nib. Alternatively implement some form of drawing into the logo. So i tried a bunch of variations. Somehow i still just ended up with a simple text logo though.


Some initial sketches for the logo.

More sketches.

Logo Rules
There are a few rules when making a logo that should be put into consideration. The most general one is that it should work at any size and color. So that it's possible to use on anything from printed paper, internet or billboards.

From the paper sketches i took pen nib sketch and started working digitally.

Here's the second batch of digital sketches, with smaller variations. 

An attempt to combine logo inside the text. Since Nudl is a 4 letter word and illustration is 12 letters it's hard to space the words without Nudl being too big.


The logo and text were impossible to combine into a suitable shape.

Final Version
Here you can see the final version that i ended up using on my website. It has soft colors because i want my pictures to dominate the visual space on my website instead of the logo.

The final version.

Facebook Variations
For my Facebook page i made a few variations with graphic texture inside because the facebook pages lack eye flavor. I like that the logo is very dynamic in terms of size and color.



No comments:

Post a Comment